A wonder impossible green land in the heart of the Alps mountains. Here, a few houses and lots of cows make one of the most iconic villages in Vorarlberg: Schönbach. There is no supermarket in here, but there is an Inn famous in all the state: Jagdgasthaus Egender.
Vorarlberg is the second tiniest state of Austria, on shore of Constance lake. Has boarders with Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. And Bregenzewald is a picturesque region of Vorarlberg, so beautiful that visiting makes you feel like living in a fairytale.
Are you looking for a place to just getaway? Where all the people are friendly and the cows ubiquitous? Staying at Jagdgasthaus Egender in Schönbach village, Bezau, Bregenzewald (Bregenz Forest) may be the answer:
- In Schönbach there are around 30 houses, the number being capped. You can only build a house if you demolish another.
- This is to keep the beauty of this place intact, Schönbach being one of the traditional villages very much loved by all the Vorarlberg inhabitants.
- Lovebirds from around the world come here to get marry, in a tiny perfect chapels, surrounded by magnificent views.
- In the village there are hundreds of cows and just a handful of people.
- There is no supermarket in Schönbach, only a Inn. Jagdgasthaus Egender is known for being the place where you can eat the best Käsespätzle in Vorarlberg. And many other local treats.
- Here is a tradition of 400 years: the transhumance on three levels: in the valley, in the hills and on top of the mountains, depending on the season.
The place – Reaching Schönbach village
To arrive in Schönbach you have a lot of options: by car, motorbike or bike. Or you can just hike or take a mountain bike trail. There are so many you can choose from!
We arrived after a 3 hours hike from Egg, passing some of the most amazing Alpine views that you can imagine. And spent the night in this magical place. Then left by car J.
Jagdgasthaus Egender: The Inn
Jagdgasthaus Egender is all made of wood, respecting the tradition. Outside all the houses look rustic and like hundreds of years ago. The time seem to have stopped in here. Yet, inside everything is modern, new and spotless.
The people in Vorarlberg make art in wood and give special attention to each project. So for each house there is a lot of planning to make it perfect: minimalist, 100% functional, modern and to innovate. Jagdgasthaus Egender makes no exception and except the shower and some other functional items, it is all made of wood. And all looks bright new and smells so fresh!
The rooms in Jagdgasthaus Egender
The rooms in Jagdgasthaus Egender are all in wood, of course, minimal and with modern facilities. Except the WiFi, this place is a digital detox. I was curious how I can fell in here doing nothing yet it was amazing! Actually it was so much fun to chat with my friend and the people to take a walk in the village, to relax! I had such a good night sleep and a perfect morning!
As amenities, there are of course towels and the soaps and shampoo are organic, from a local producer, Ingo Metzler.
Food and drink at Jagdgasthaus Egender Schönbach
Delicious! And of course, traditional. When we arrived, the terrace was full of people. We joined for dinner and as all the others we tried the Käsespätzle – which is claimed as the best in Vorarlberg and some other local dishes. And apple strudel for dessert with vanilla cream! All is fresh, all incredible tasty. And so welcomed after a day hiking!
The breakfast is very diversified and on top of the buffet options, you get eggs cooked as you like, or other treats, like pancakes and even caprese salad.
Activities in Schönbach village
In the summer: trekking, mountain biking, hiking, eat, drink, relax. Repeat.
Winter time: cross-country ski, winter trekking.
Adress: Jagdgasthaus Egender
info @ jagdgasthaus-egender . at
- Featured2017.12.12Travel Light Longchamp Le Pliage Bags Are Bare Necessities
- Corfu island2017.12.05Greek Night in the Traditional Tripa Tavern Corfu Kinopiastes Village
- Cuba2017.12.04Cuba For Solo Female Travelers: Two Weeks Alone and Independent
- Austria2017.12.025 Things To Do While Visiting Bregenz Forest Vorarlberg Austria